Old 15-01-2005, 03:21 PM
Allyb

According to Arizona Aquatic Gardens:

"Lead Weights on your bunched plants: Leave them on or take them off.It
doesn't matter one bit. They are actually made of a zinc/magnesium metal
that is completely harmless to fish and other plants."

I was similarly curious when I got into the hobby, not being able to imagine
that they could actually be lead, and apparently, they aren't.
Incidentally, I assume this is industry wide, but I don't really know.
Allison

"Richard" wrote in message ...
In article ,
Papa Red wrote:
..I recently purchased my first aquatic plants for my aquariums, Elodea
densa I think they are called. Well anyway, they came in bunches of
three and four, connected together with lead wraps,...The pet store
person said that it wouldn't harm my fish, but then he once told me that
my four large Angel fish would get along great with the plattys and
fancy guppys that I was buying from him,...So I tend not to trust him
all that much. Will the lead weights pollute the water and harm the
fish?

It's supposed to be safe but I don't trust it. It's lead for gods sake.

You can use some fishing line and a small rock instead, or fill a very
small flowerpot with gravel and stick it in there, that's what I do.

633CSi 250SE/C 300SD | Killies, killi.net, Crypts, aquaria.net
1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Old wris****ches http://watches.list.mbz.org