Old 15-01-2005, 07:47 PM
Timothy

On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 01:56:49 +0800, Wylie Wilde wrote:

Hello,

I live in a small low rise apartment block in a tropical climate. Its an
average of 28 degrees all year round.

I've been put in charge of the apartment garden which is fairly
substantial for this area- total of 5000 sq feet. I got the job after I
strenously objected to someone's proposal to cut down all the trees and
plants to get rid of the mosquito problem. Ya, got quite a lot of mossies
here.

I walked around the garden. We don't have pool or ponds or catchement
areas which collect water for them to breed - but they do pretty well in
the heavily planted areas.

What are some good plants to put into a tropical garden to deter
mosquitos? Would garlic, chilli or orchid plants work? Please advice.

It's very unlikely that there are plants that effectivly deter mosquitoes.
If there were such plants, they would be everywhere you live 8). As far as
'bug zappers' go, they're rather ineffective at mosquito controll. Bug
zapper kill way more beneficial insects than not.

As far as everyone hacking down the trees and plants, it seems that
mosquios are great little fliers. Those little buggers will travel to find
the food (you). I'd suggest that you start you control search with your
local authorities. There's got to be some local resource for you
somewhere. Nurseries, goverment agency, university extention offices..ect.
Good luck to you.

--
Yard Works Gardening Co.
http://www.ywgc.com