Old 15-01-2005, 07:55 PM
Cereus-validus...

Isn't the concept of "mosquito deterrent plants" a bit of a myth? Mosquitoes
(females that suck blood, that is) are attracted to carbon dioxide and body
heat rather than particular odors given off by plants. The male mosquitoes
pollinate flowers and do not suck blood.

BTW, mosquitoes breed in water not in trees. If you want to get rid of the
beasties, you need to get rid of any standing water. Maybe it would be a
better idea to get rid of all the swimming pools in the neighborhood not
just your immediate area? A better solution would be to rid the area of
unwanted people and their pets!!!!!

"Wylie Wilde" wrote in message
Hello,

I live in a small low rise apartment block in a tropical climate. Its an
average of 28 degrees all year round.

I've been put in charge of the apartment garden which is fairly
substantial for this area- total of 5000 sq feet. I got the job after I
strenously objected to someone's proposal to cut down all the trees and
plants to get rid of the mosquito problem. Ya, got quite a lot of mossies
here.

I walked around the garden. We don't have pool or ponds or catchement
areas which collect water for them to breed - but they do pretty well in
the heavily planted areas.

What are some good plants to put into a tropical garden to deter
mosquitos? Would garlic, chilli or orchid plants work? Please advice.

--
Regards,
Wilde