Old 15-01-2005, 10:49 PM
David J Bockman

All Cornus florida are infected with anthracnose. It exists as a constant
background pathogen-- the problem is when certain enviormental/pathological
events trigger a bloom and rampant attack on a geographic area, at which
time the tree (usually already stressed) begins to succumb. Here in the
Midatlantic region, naturally occuring as well as nursery stock Cornus
florida are being decimated by the disease.

Ways to mitigate include:

-proper irrigation: watering during periods of drought
-proper soil pH: dogwoods thrive in MAWD (moist, acidic, well-drained) soil
high in organic content. Studies have shown that higher pH levels reduce the
likelihood of disease outbreaks.
-good nutrition: a thin layer of microbial-rich compost and composted cow
manure will do wonders.

Vigilantly maintain the integrity of the tree's rootzone-- dogwoods have
their rootsystems quite close to the surface, and they can't tolerate much
if any disturbance (no digging bulbs, for example).

Keep infected leaf litter swept up as well-- don't compost infected leaves.

email:
http://beyondgardening.com/Albums

"GrampysGurl" wrote in message
Is there anyway I can safely grow one near a anthracnose infected one?

Would
one of the newer blight resistant ones be helpful and if so where does one

find
them? We have an incredibly old and beautiful dogwood in the front yard
infected but I would like to get another growing in the backyard some time
before the day I will sadly have to remove the tree in the front. Part of

the
reason we bought this house was that tree... I actually cued the realtor

in to
point out "that lovely dogwood out there" he thought I was nuts till my

husband
looked and voiced his pleasure lol. Dogwoods are a favorite of mine as

well as
hubby's.Don't tell me to cut it down because my battle is futile, I know

it is
but this tree is worth trying to prolong it's life; it's that pretty all
seasons, great shape and still has tons of blossoms come spring and the

birds
still flock to it for the berries.
Colleen Ann
Zone 5 CT