Old 15-01-2005, 08:13 PM
John Bachman

On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 12:46:33 -0600, "~ Windsong ~" P@P wrote:

"John Bachman" wrote in message
.. .

One of water's characteristics is a high specific heat. In other
words, it takes a lot of heat to raise the temperature of a body of
water and a lot of cold to drop it. Hence a brief warm spell followed
by a return to seasonal temperatures has little effect on the water
temperature in a 1000 gallon pond.

## I don't know about that. After a few warmer days here my GF and koi are
at the surface nibbling the thickest algae on the liner. The water must
"turn" as they stay away from the cooler bottom at these times. Then it
takes one or two cold, below freezing days to have them all on the bottom
again. One pond is approx. 800 gallons and the other 2,000 gallons.

I suppose that a sunny day with elevated air temperatures would warm
the surface water some. What happens then depends upon the water
temperature before warming. If the upper level is above 39 degrees F
(the temp at which water is most dense) it would sink as it approached
39 F. I would expect that the fish would not notice that much.

But if the surface water temperature was above 39F before warming, it
would tend to stay there and increase in temperature. The fish would
then be expected to migrate to the warm surface and become more active
there.

JMHO but critters do not know much science, just what they like and do
not like.

John
The speed of time is approximately one second per second.