Old 16-01-2005, 08:59 AM
Fran

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
mmmm yeh first up it takes away the reliance on a motor vehicle,
second we won't have a tractor to keep going when, they break down
they cost big bucks, and no use being here if we can't do/finish what
we want to do and grow as much of our food needs and repair the
habitat etc all takes moeny, this all takes money, and then there's
fencing and whole lots of things.

Is a tractor really essential to grow fruit and veg for two people ?

It may not be to grow veg for 2, but if he uses it as a slasher (to keep the
grass and thus snake threat low) or has a carryall for fencing equipment or
to dig post holes with, or has a blade on it for forming roads, then it
could be vital to living on a rural block.

And Len is quite right about rural living - it is far more expensive in
terms of daily costs. I pay about double the cost of groceries if I shop in
the village vs getting in the car and going 30 kms (and fuel here has also
recently blown out in cost).