Old 16-01-2005, 01:41 PM
Wylie Wilde

"Stephen Henning" wrote in message newsighash-

Using mosquito-repelling plants, such as the citrosa plant and garlic,
and electronic bug zappers are not known to significantly reduce
mosquito numbers. The plants' anti-bug oils only protect their leaves.

Thank you all for your help and comments.

For starters, I would like to mention that the authorities do from time to
time - "fog" the place with some form of insecticide.

However, this area does have some amazing butterflies and bird life. I saw a
magnifcient very large golden yellow butterfly fly by the other day. And as
such I would like to not use insecticides.

The problem with some of the tropical plants - is that they do collect water
in their hollows and leaves. And the mossies take refuge in those areas.

I have also seen bats fly around my area, but haven't seen any dragonflies.

Neither do we have any ponds or swimming pools around the immediate area.

I do remember in the past, that the old gardener, once a week, would pile up
the old leaves, wet them, and set them on fire near the mossie breeding
grounds- creating a smokey haze. the smoke apparently deterred the mossies.
Its eco-friendly - but rather "smoky".

Cheers!!