Old 16-01-2005, 02:52 PM
Phisherman

On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 01:56:49 +0800, "Wylie Wilde"
wrote:

Hello,

I live in a small low rise apartment block in a tropical climate. Its an
average of 28 degrees all year round.

I've been put in charge of the apartment garden which is fairly substantial
for this area- total of 5000 sq feet. I got the job after I strenously
objected to someone's proposal to cut down all the trees and plants to get
rid of the mosquito problem. Ya, got quite a lot of mossies here.

I walked around the garden. We don't have pool or ponds or catchement areas
which collect water for them to breed - but they do pretty well in the
heavily planted areas.

What are some good plants to put into a tropical garden to deter mosquitos?
Would garlic, chilli or orchid plants work? Please advice.

Maybe, but I've read studies that show plants have little or no
effect. I know there is a "mosquito plant" but I question its
effectiveness. Mosquitoes like dense shrubs, moisture, and blood!
Without water the mosquitoes will be gone. Be sure to check gutters,
flower pot saucers, old tires, tree hollows, birdbath, wading pools,
anything that contains stagnant water. Using plants that quickly draw
up water from the soil such as eucalyptus, can help for boggy soil
conditions. Sassafras and sweet basil are said to ward off
mosquitoes, but I grew lots of basil in my garden and still get
bitten. I know that having a pond with fish encourages mosquitoes to
lay their eggs, the fish eat the larvae, and the end result is fewer
mosquitoes. Just a small barrel water garden with two goldfish will
work. The most effective way not to get bitten is the use of DEET.