Old 16-01-2005, 06:55 PM
Timothy

On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 14:18:14 +0000, GrampysGurl wrote:

:::sigh::: I thought that would be the answer I would get.... Thank you
:::for all
the information, I will check it out later this afternoon. I do spray the
tree as often as I possibly can get around to it and I do rake and remove
before every mowing. It's just heartbreaking to see what happens to these
lovely trees. I'm not sure what I will replace it with, maybe a
magnolia.... I love the form of my tree, it branches out close to the
ground but has a huge open spread. Thank you again.
Colleen Ann
Zone 5 CT

Don't feel like you have to grab the saw just yet 80) Anthracnose can be
'controlled' to the most part, as long as this tree is not overly
infected. If the tree is of substantial size, if the tree does not have
substantial damage, then you have a rather fair chance of pulling this
tree back from death. Generally I wouldn't recommend a massive spray
campaign due to it's cost and time commitment, but seeing that you have an
emotional attachment to the tree, this may be alright with you.

Before you grab the spray can, try to assess the over-all health of the
tree. If the tree is generally in good health, the over-all damage is low,
then it's time to start walking. It's quite futile to try to manage your
fungus outbreak if there are other infected trees in the neighborhood that
are not being treated. The spores are blowing in the wind sure, but if you
have an anthracnose factory three doors down that isn't being managed,
your attempts to manage your outbreak will be all for not.

If you find more occurrences of anthracnose after peeking over the
neighbors fences, then it might be more adventagous to plant resistant
trees and take out the infected ones.

Good luck to you and your tree.
--
Yard Works Gardening Co.