Old 16-01-2005, 05:33 PM
gray

Yes - but how would you get on with say 100 seeds ??

I have thought about holding each one with a pair of pliers and just
grinding a bit off on my bench grinder.

On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 16:01:17 GMT, gray wrote:

I'm looking for advice on the best way to grow hazel nuts from seed.

Do I nick the side of the seed, or crack the shells, rub with
sandpaper, or leave as they are and wait for nature and the mice ???

I find that with nuts in general, it helps to abrade the shell with a
file or coarse sandpaper until you make a hole through into the
inside, but no more (i.e. don't damage the bit inside). I assume that
making a hole in this way allows moisture to get in and trigger
germination. I probably simulates the nibbling by rodents etc.