Old 17-01-2005, 12:23 AM
Aunty Kreist

"Iris Cohen" wrote in message
I have horrible neighbors, and a fence that's only three feet high.

We
need a fence that will block them out _completely_, and stockade type

fences
are extremely expensive.
I had an idea to make a "vine fence". I thought I would buy some wire

(like
chicken wire, but thicker and sturdier) about 6 feet high, and put it down

the
length of the yard using posts or stakes.
I live in PA,

This idea is widely recommended in the gardening literature. However, I

would
only rely on annual vines for the first year. You want to plant perennials

for
the long run. I don't know what zone you are in, but something evergreen

would
be ideal.

I was kind of thinking this. If I use the thick wire fencing, I can always
take it down very easily later on, if I have to.

Avoid trumpet creeper, English ivy, or anything else that is
uncontrollably invasive. Patience with a vine that is a little slower

growing
will pay off in the end.

Ok, perhaps I'll plant the trumpet creeper somewhere else then. Maybe on the
side of the garage or something.

I wouldn't use climbing roses for that. They are a lot
of work, and not useful for your purpose for much of the year. Call your

local
extension office. They can probably give you a list of the best vines for

your
area. One that comes to mind is Dutchman's pipe, Aristolochia. It is

widely
recommended as a screening vine in the Northeast.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
"A tree never hits an automobile except in self defense." - Woody Allen

Thanbk you very much for the recommendation. I'll look for some seeds for
that.

I had a neighbor once that made this sort of fence, with trumpet vines, and
the ivy you described. Even in winter, the dead vines stayed in the fencing,
and still offered a little bit of a screen- but also, the vines were quite
haywire, growing all over the place. I enjoyed them though from my side of
the yard- the trumpet vines brought hummingbirds, so I was happy with that.