Old 15-01-2005, 10:12 PM
Nedra

Jan - would you please define further the terms "stock tank", "becket box
filter and bell fountain egitating the surface" ---- also "I turn the stock
tank heater
on periodically". What size pump are you using? I know instinctively what
these things are but not enough to
replicate your set-up. Sounds neat not to have to start over from scratch
each spring. Thanks much.

Nedra

Lotus Garden:
Backyard Pond:
"~ jan JJsPond.us" wrote in message
On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 16:00:04 GMT, "Gail Futoran"
wrote:

Keeping
the filter on doesn't do anything for the biobugs (which
are nonexistent at lower temps, right?),

That's what koi people use to think, so they cleaned their filters and put
them in storage mode and effectively killed any bacteria, or they stopped
the filters and effectively drowned/killed the bacteria. If you keep a

slow
flow going the bacteria "supposedly" will go into a dormant state and wait
for better conditions. Granted some will die, but much will live. Spring
start-up is a breeze in comparison to start-up from scratch each spring.

it "mixes" the
water hence making the lower levels cooler, and also I
have to worry about the surface freezing over doing
weird things to my little fountain.

I've got a stock tank running with a becket box filter and bell fountain
agitating the surface. I turn the stock tank heater on periodically to

keep
the ice away from the fountain. This year this tank has a bunch of koi fry
in it, an I'm currently not worried. We've hit a low of 15*F so far this
year and suppose to be colder tonight. ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~