Old 17-01-2005, 09:50 PM
zxcvbob

Aunty Kreist wrote:
I have horrible neighbors, and a fence that's only three feet high.

We need a fence that will block them out _completely_, and stockade type
fences are extremely expensive.

I have considered hedges, but the only bad thing is that they take awhile to
grow high enough.

I had an idea to make a "vine fence". I thought I would buy some wire ( like
chicken wire, but thicker and sturdier) about 6 feet high, and put it down
the length of the yard using posts or stakes.

I have a good variety of climbing vine seeds, including mandevilla, several
varieties of morning glory ( red, black, purple, yellow, white) trumpet
creeper vines, and hyacinth bean vines. I planned on buying maybe five or
six climbing roses when it gets warm enough out. I live in PA, so we can't
plant much here usually until May.

Has anyone else ever tried to make this sort of fence? Did you have good
results? I was also wondering what experiences you've had with climbing
vines, such as varieties that grow quickly, etc.

Any input appreciated greatly.

Don't use chicken wire, use "cattle panels". They are 16 feet long, 54"
high (IIRC), and they are strong enough to just support them with a post
at the ends. And they really don't look that bad (not that it matters
much when you get them covered with vines.) HTH :-)

Bob