Old 17-01-2005, 11:44 PM
Ann

Rob Davison expounded:

Hm. Not meaning to offend anyone, but I'm not sure I entirely understand
the 'horrid weed tree' attitude.

A horrid weed tree invades and drives out native species. Around here
the horrid weed tree is the Norway Maple, it's invading forests,
deeply shading the ground below (kills ephemerals) and shades the
native tree seedlings, understory shrubs, etc. Not a nice plant. Of
course it isn't the weed tree's 'fault', it's not a sentient being.
But allowing the spread of non-native species is not a good thing to
do, if you can avoid planting the invader, then you should do so.
Growing the plant where it belongs is one thing, growing an invasive
species where there are no natural controls is another. I wouldn't
wipe the last of anything out, but there comes a limit.

I'm a member of the New England Wildflower Society, the subject of
invasives is near and dear to many of our hearts. I don't want purple
loosestrife killing off our beautiful native cardinal flower (lobelia
cardinalis), no matter how pretty the purple marshes look.
--
Ann, Gardening in zone 6a
Just south of Boston, MA