Old 17-01-2005, 08:36 PM
zxcvbob

bent wrote:
I read through the group to get a feel for things: this is my 1st post of
this type. I have bought scotch bonnets to make my homemade chicken wing
sauce, but I want it hotter in the future. I know I could use Capsaicin
concentrate, but have no idea if it is necessary (yet), or if it is
available to me in a store. Will I be able to find Red Savina habaneros
either fresh, or in seed form in Toronto and could I get them to grow? If I
were to have a pet plant this would have to be it, and I could give some
special attention.

Up until then, I have just pulled the seeds from some scotch bonnets, within
the inside pod or whatever it is called, and have them sitting in a glass
jar in the fridge. What do I do with these scotch bonnet seeds right now and
in the mean time?

As far I know, the last frost date here could be June 1st, so giving 10
weeks germination (12-14 in a short growing season), which is what I assume
TO is, then I should put seeds in some dirt about the 10th of March indoors.
If I can follow some simple procedure, I will give scotch bonnets a try. I'm
really hoping for Red Savina though. I don't want to do anything heroic: I
can get some good soil(s), fertilizer(s), pot(s) or flats, cover(s), I'll
water them, etc., but I don't know about heating pads or fluorescent lights
(mostly b/c I don't have them).

This is what I can see: I can make a plywood greenhouse and line it with
aluminum foil, and put in a fluorescent lamp, maybe one of those round ones,
to get the soil temp up. Can I use one pot, with one soil, except with the
top inch or three having peat mixed in for germination. I do have some room
in the ground, but I think I could use the same big pot and take it outdoors
June 5th.

If I can grow them in Minnesota, you should be able to grow them in
Toronto. (if the summer has unusually cool nights, like last year, the
yield from peppers and tomatoes may not be very good)

I will probably start my tobasco and dundicutt pepper seeds in about a
week, and my other hot peppers in late February; the tomatoes about
April 1. I get best germination when I sit the pepper and tomato flats
on the back of the fluorescent lights for warmth. I have a heating
cable, but I think I cooked my seeds one year :-(

Best regards,
Bob