Old 17-01-2005, 10:08 PM
Martin Brown

Chris Hogg wrote:

I come across this term occasionally, especially in respect of its
Lutein and Zeaxanthin content, good for reducing the risk of
age-related macular degeneration (AMD, a form of partial blindness).
I'm not a vegetable gardener but I think it's an American term and I
assume it's a type of cabbage. Do we have a name for it over here?

You have to be careful of US advertised stuff. They don't have any
perceptible advertising standards where food suppliments are concerned.

They will also sell you (expensive) exotic English bilberry pills for a
similar purpose. For some strange reason in the USA bilberry jam is
believed to have performed the function of carrots in the UK during WWII
(ie radar).

By all means grow decent fresh vegetables but don't get suckered by
spurious US health food claims for magic cure-alls.

Regards,
Martin Brown