Old 17-01-2005, 11:12 PM
Mike Lyle

ned wrote:
"mothman" wrote in message

Doggie Wrote:
I am looking to scatter some wild flower seeds in our village to
brighten
the place up a bit.

Can you recommend any suppliers of cheap wild flower seeds?

whoever you eventually get them from it would be best to make sure
the seeds are from native stock. Personally I use Naturscape in
Nottingham. www.naturescape.co.uk. very good service and a

wonderful
place to visit in mid June.

Three other sites you might like to look at
http://www.ernest-charles.com/acatal...Gardening.html
www.npk.u-net.com
www.growingwildflowers.com

And it's best not to scatter seeds: the damn wild life eats them. For
best results, grow them on, and plant out the seedlings.

If you want to get technical, there are sometimes also issues with
the provenance of wildflower seeds. I won't go into scientific
detail, as it doesn't matter much in most areas; but in sensitive
habitats there may be a strain of otherwise ordinary flower X which
blooms Y days later than the type, and so feeds invertebrate Z just
in time to feed the young of bird B...etc. As I say, it doesn't
matter in most places, but one needs to be aware of the problem when
innocently boosting plant populations on islands or other isolated
micro-eco-systems.

Mike.