Old 18-01-2005, 12:07 PM
John Bachman

On 17 Jan 2005 17:27:24 -0800, "simy1" wrote:

John Bachman wrote:

snip

It seems to me that some years they will ripen and some they will

not.
We often get a frost in September but just as often not. Where's

that
damned global warming when you need it? I would hate to put in a fig
leading to blame for a decade of early frosts.

John

-10F? Let me be the first to discourage you. The coldest I have seen
here in 10 years has been -5F, and some years it does not even get
below 0. Figs like it hot, more so than jujube, otherwise they will not
make it. Why not something like hardy kiwis? Flavor-wise, they are the
equal of figs, and you will get those for sure because they like it
mild, but will take 6 years. Nice plant with huge output once it gets
going, though you need a lot of space. Or you keep the cover on the fig
9.5 months a year.

Well, I like a challenge and I understand that fresh figs are a
delight (if I can get there). That is why I am seeking ideas on how
to get them through the winters. I have been told that others in this
area have succeeded, although I have not met any of them.

I thought of the kiwi but the fruits are very small, right?

John