Old 17-01-2005, 01:28 PM
Charlie Pridham

"MM" wrote in message
On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 18:59:53 -0000, "Chris Stewart"
wrote:

"MM" wrote in message
.. .
I'm looking for suggested layouts that I can modify on screen, then
view in 3D.

MM

Hi,
You'll find that most folks on here aren't that keen on existing

software -
too clunky, and constricting. There are so many factors to take into

account
in terms of climate, soil type, aspect, altitude, shadows from

buildings,
before you begin to consider the individual plants, their age, growth

rates
etc. We need better computing brains to build better programmes.
Chris S

But I have absolutely no idea what I want! I have a brand-new house
with a rectangular area behind nominated as 'the garden'. The builder
kindly installed a small patio, but the rest is just very soggy soil.
Thus I have a clean slate. Where the heck do I start? I am not a
gardener, but have dabbled in the past, even removing a tree, sifting
soil of stones, planting shrubs, that kind of thing. But I can't tell
the diff between a marigold and a hollyhock, unless you point it out
to me first. However, I do know what I like when I see it! I see lots
of gardens, some of which I like, many of which I don't. I quite like
the idea of a minimalist garden, one with lots of interesting
pathways, and small lawned areas to break the monotony.

What I need is ideas that I can see in 3D, then play around with in my
mind. Most of all, I haven't got oodles of cash to spend. This garden
needs to look its best on a shoestring budget.

Is there a gardening book containing nothing but suggested layouts?
That might be a useful altermative.

MM

I would start with a piece of scrap paper and make a list of things you have
to have, i.e. cloths dryer and path to get to it! any paths needed to access
sheds, garages, and compost areas. avoid straight lines unless you go for a
formal look. You may find a pack of bamboo canes and an old hose pipe all
you need to mark out on the ground.
Make any paths wide enough for the purpose.
Make any grass areas big enough to be worth mowing and easy enough to get a
mower around.
You can make pretty much any space look good with plants, but a lot of
gardening happens in less than ideal weather and you can cause a real mess
if you can not move around on hard surfaces. So if it were me I would get
the hard structure in first then worry about the plants.
--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk