Old 18-01-2005, 10:19 AM
Pam Moore

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 21:59:15 +0000, Chris Hogg wrote:

I come across this term occasionally, especially in respect of its
Lutein and Zeaxanthin content, good for reducing the risk of
age-related macular degeneration (AMD, a form of partial blindness).
I'm not a vegetable gardener but I think it's an American term and I
assume it's a type of cabbage. Do we have a name for it over here?

No Martin, this is not a magic cure-all!
As someone affected by Macular Degeneration, I am very aware of the
necessity to eat green veg, red peppers, marigold flowers for the
lutein which they contain. Lutein is a substance found in the retina
and is reduced in quantity in MD people.

Hi Chris
I have never really discovered what collard greens actually are, but
will find out from my MD friends in USA.
Here's a web page for starters.
http://www.molliekatzen.com/superfoo...erfood0299.htm
Most pages that google turns up are recipes!
I'm pleased to read it is less strong flavoured than kale.
I would like to grow some.
I also have somewhere (!) a list of the lutein content of various
fruits and veg. When I found it I will send it on to you.

Pam in Bristol