Old 18-01-2005, 12:01 PM
davek

"Doggie" wrote in message
I am looking to scatter some wild flower seeds in our village to brighten
the place up a bit.

Can you recommend any suppliers of cheap wild flower seeds?

Well, a couple of years ago I decided to commence a wildflower bank at our
sports&social club in Cheshire. Some fund raising allowed me £130 which I
spent at the National Wildflower Centre, Liverpool. The packs are about 20%
flower seeds, it's bulked up with various grasses which look quite good but
I think that's very expensive.
Late last summer a member was driving past Wheeldon Copse near Delamere and
advised me to go and have a look. Wow, several hectares of farmland which
has been deep ploughed and planted with tons of wildflower seeds and
deciduous
tree seedlings. A notice on the stile proclaims it to be a group project
with the Countryside Commission and various other bodies inlcuding the
National Wildflower Centre. It invites you to help yourself to seeds as they
ripen and spread them about, -in your garden, in the hedgerows, when you are
out walking. In September I filled carrier bags with seeds of cornflowers,
ragged robin,poppies and all sorts of other stuff I can't remember. Have
planted them on the bank and it's a carpet of seedlings at present. Hope
they don't get attacked by the severe frosts which are prevalent here.
The Ordnance Survey map reference for Wheeldon Copse is: SJ 51392 73451.
DaveK.