Old 18-01-2005, 03:25 PM
Tiger303 Tiger303 is offline
Registered User

Location: Manchester
Default Tips on moving clematis

i've two clematis (pruning code 2) which are both pale pink, but I planted in full sun last year, or the sunniest position in my south-west facing garden in rainy manchester.

anyway one decided to get clematis wilt, which thankfully recovered and put on lots of growth after i cut the affected parts out, though it didn't flower, but i'm hoping it'll do so this year

the other clematis' flowers were affected as the sun bleached the colour, and looked nothing like it was suppossed to. I understand from a friend that this is because i planted it in wrong position as pale clematis' like shade. He also suggested its possible the wilt occurred as the wire supports i put up for them were too close to the house and didn't allow much air movement. sounded plausible, but think i remember reading somewhere this situation is more likely to cause mildew, which i didn't suffer. anyone care to comment on his hypothesising?

anyway i have a shady neighbours wall in the same garden which my lonicera tellimania is just starting to spread across cover, and was thinking of moving the two clematis there. As theres no soil, just the foundations of the old lean-to i got rid of they'll need to be put in largish pots.

question is when's best to move them? i could only guess at same time as the end of feb prune.

any help/recommendations is greatly appreciated