Old 18-01-2005, 07:10 PM
Katra

In article ,
"John" wrote:

Hello group,
Just finished building a house in Bastrop county between Bastrop and
Mckinney Roughs. Under many of my trees are these tough vines with thorns
that don't seem to respond to vegitation killer. These vines have heart
shaped leaves which are dark green with white spots on them and grow fairly
fast and the vine sorta grows in a slight zig-zag. HOW can I get rid of
them? I am trying to rid myself of them prior to landscaping the flowerbeds
under the trees. Strange thing too they only seem to grow under the oak and
cedars..
Thanks so much!!!
John

Liana vines... :-)

I usually let them grow up the trees as I find them to be pretty and
harmless. In fact, when I dig them out, I pot them for future
transplanting.

The reason they are not responding to herbicides is due to the size of
the rhizomes. Dig them out and you should find a large potato-like tuber.
The only way I've ever gotten rid of ones in the garden where I did not
want them was to dig out that root. They are not very deep.

I had a lot of them around a chinaberry tree that I had to take out of
the main garden bed.

They won't hurt your flower beds as they do like to climb. You can just
train them to go "up" the trees.

Good luck!
--
K.

Sprout the MungBean to reply

"I don't like to commit myself about heaven and hell‹you
see, I have friends in both places." --Mark Twain