Old 18-01-2005, 07:13 PM
Elaine T

Richard wrote:
In article ,
Elaine T wrote:

Richard wrote:

In article , js1 wrote:

On 2005-01-18, Richard wrote:

Stop dosing phosphorus. Your fish food should provide enough of it.

ALL fishfood?

Absolutely! ;-)

Ok, well roughly how much phosphate is there in white worms fed pumpernikel
fed to fish 3X a week and nothing else? (my water is pretty cold)

It's not what's in the food...it's what comes out the other end of your
fish. ;-)

It's gotta be in the food, fish can't synthesize phosphate.

Heh. No living organism can transmute elements - you're taking me far
too seriously. Wheee...alchemy in the fishtank! My point was that the
phosphate in fish food is used by the fish and then excreted. Of
course, the intial source of phosphate into the tank is the food.

Steve,
ALL fishfood has phosphorus and nitrogen, whether it's plant or animal
based. Phosphorus is an essential component of DNA, RNA, cell
membranes, and the cell's energy systems, and nitrogen comes from
protein. If you're worried, first follow Richard's advice and stop all
phosphate. Personally, with nitrates between 5 and 20, I'd stop dosing
that as well because you're also adding nitrate to the tank with your
fishfood.

See how your plants do for a few weeks after Richard's water change
regime with no added N or P. If your nitrate actually zeros out, you
might add some back. Wait a few weeks more and if you still feel an
irresistable urge to add P, add a fraction of what you were and be
prepared to change lots of water at the first signs of increased algae
growth.

--
__ Elaine T __
__' http://eethomp.com/fish.html '__