Old 18-01-2005, 05:12 PM
Mike Lyle

sarah wrote:
June Hughes wrote:

In message , sarah
writes
June Hughes wrote:

In message , mike
writes
I'm thinking of getting one for suppressing the weeds coming up
through gravel

does anyone out there use one and are they any good ?
do they use generic gas cartridges or do they have to be

parasene
?

I have one. Burns the weeds. I hate it. It is easier to

scrape
the weeds out with a hoe or knife.

I have one. I'm sure it *would* burn the weeds if the heat from

the
flame wasn't so easily dissipated by the wind :-/ OTOH it is a
legitimate excuse to play with fire :-)

Hi Sarah. I didn't know you posted here. As a wimp, I am a bit
scared of my weed wand and as it doesn't work as well as expected,
that is an easy excuse not to use it.

I read but very rarely post :-) Don't be scared of the weed wand;
it's a tool and you're a tool-using hominid!

But it's a lousy tool, and hominids abandon poor designs. In your
place, June, and armed with the supporting testimony you've read
here, I wouldn't hesitate to take the thing back and get my money
back on the clear grounds that it doesn't do the job. Then invest in
a hoe -- a Swoe if you can find one: an ingenious kind of Dutch hoe
with only one "arm" -- and an old table knife and fork, plus some
glyphosate if you like. Keep the cutting edges of the hoe sharp with
a file or flat scythe stone (spades too like being sharpened), and
live happily ever after.

Mike.