Old 18-01-2005, 05:52 PM
keith ;-\)

concrete gravel boards are used for the fence panels,but I have never seen
them 6 foot high before!
The weight could be a problem on a long run,you can put loads of concrete
around the posts but if the ground around that is soft, the weight/wind will
gradually work the ground loose.I have seen this happen with concrete posts
& close board fence which runs along the boundary of a allotment .The fence
is very ,very long & it has only been in for about 1 year.You can see that
long sections have started to lean over already.
--
Thanks Keith,England,UK.
"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article ,
"davek" writes:

| a) I've seen concrete posts/gravelboards at Wickes and other places.

But
| where can I get the concrete panels?
| b) Should this be a reasonably simple DIY job?
|
| Should be a concrete manufacturer somewhere near you. The one here

makes the
| posts and panels on site. Often have 'seconds' which just means that a

bit
| of a corner is missing. They make a good sturdy fence. If you didn't

have
| the vandalism problem, concrete panels at ground level with timber

fence
| panels resting on top between the slotted concrete posts, looks nicer.

Watch out for the weight, though. Concrete panels need to be thick
enough to have some strength and concrete weighs about 2300 Kg/m^3.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.