Old 18-01-2005, 06:12 PM
Martin Brown

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 17:55:06 GMT, Pam Moore
wrote:

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 21:59:15 +0000, Chris Hogg wrote:

I come across this term occasionally, especially in respect of its
Lutein and Zeaxanthin content, good for reducing the risk of
age-related macular degeneration (AMD, a form of partial blindness).
I'm not a vegetable gardener but I think it's an American term and I
assume it's a type of cabbage. Do we have a name for it over here?

Chris, here is a list of lutein values in foods.
http://www.luteininfo.com/whereraw

I have been trying to find a supplier of seeds of collard greens in UK
but no luck so far. Have a US friend who might send me some.

Is there some independent research showing that eating lutein rich
food changes the amount in the retina?

If there is googling didn't find anything for me that I would trust.
Mostly US pill popping "health freak" sites offering extract of collard
greens pills (and fuelling my worst suspicions bilberry pills too).

It might be a good thing to eat fresh from the garden. Cabbage family
contain plenty of useful vitamins some of which may be beneficial for
AMD. But I am extremely sceptical of all US pseudo-medical sites that
are principally selling their expensive herbal extract pills.

By all means grow them and enjoy fresh fruit and vegetables. It is a far
better option than subsisting on junk food and popping vitamin pills.

Regards,
Martin Brown