Old 18-01-2005, 08:19 PM
steve

Elaine T wrote:
Steve,
ALL fishfood has phosphorus and nitrogen, whether it's plant or

animal
based. Phosphorus is an essential component of DNA, RNA, cell
membranes, and the cell's energy systems, and nitrogen comes from
protein. If you're worried, first follow Richard's advice and stop

all
phosphate. Personally, with nitrates between 5 and 20, I'd stop

dosing
that as well because you're also adding nitrate to the tank with your

fishfood.

See how your plants do for a few weeks after Richard's water change
regime with no added N or P. If your nitrate actually zeros out,

you
might add some back. Wait a few weeks more and if you still feel an
irresistable urge to add P, add a fraction of what you were and be
prepared to change lots of water at the first signs of increased

algae
growth.

k.

(thanks for taking time to reply)

After the blackout and massive water changes, I'll let the thing
stabilize a bit and see where the nitrates stand. Maybe I got a little
too agressive with my dosing, thinking I as some kind 'o plant king.

steve