Old 18-01-2005, 09:29 PM
Martin Brown

Chris Hogg wrote:

Many thanks to everyone for the replies.

Martin, there's plenty of sound medical opinion and research on the
benefits of Lutein and Zeaxanthin on macular degeneration. If you
search PubMed http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov:80/entrez/query.fcgi
for abstracts of medical research papers, using lutein zeaxanthin
macular as your search criteria, you'll get over 100 hits. I don't
have AMD, but I am T2 diabetic, and we are prone to eye problems
(retinopathy) that have much in common with AMD.

I'm sorry but a fair proportion of the stuff there is less than
convincing. Eating fresh fruit and green vegetables is good for you.
Junk food is bad. Pills to fix up a junk food habit are also bad.

By all means grow and eat some collard greens if it makes you feel
better (seeds are cheap), but don't shell out good money for suppliment
pills to the charlatans who prey on people's fear of going blind.

Regards,
Martin Brown