Old 18-01-2005, 09:51 PM
Sarah Dale

Tiger303 wrote:
I moved a 3x3 feet ceaonthus last november as it were getting far too
big for its position.
anyway now its not looking too good, all of it looks as though the
leaves are struggling to get water, so its possible I didn't take as
good of care of the roots as i thought. and one third, of a particular
branch look very nearly dead, almost completely dried up.

Did you cut it back at all when you moved it? In general it is wise to
cut back a shrub when you move it because you disturb its roots, which
means it is less efficent etc. at getting water & nutrients until it
settles into the new spot. And consequently it starts dying back.

any suggestions on what to do now? my mum's suggestion was to buy a
bottle of plant doctor and pour it into surrounding soil undiluted,
anyone had any success with this?

I wouldn't bother with that at all - and definatley not at this time of
year. (What is is anyhow?)

I'd cut out the dead and dying bits, give it a haircut, and keep it
watered well (but not waterlogged) right from now until this autumn.
Don't water too much in this weather - it won't need a lot, but it does
need some.

Give it a bit of grub in the spring - not too much - maybe manure or
chicken pellets or whatever you have to hand.

HTH

Sarah

P.S. Some people find ceanothus touchy, and it has been known to die if
pruned back hard - so go easy. OTOH, I cut my ceanothus down to 4" last
year and it lived!