Old 19-01-2005, 04:31 AM
Fran

"sunrise farm" wrote in

I was
wondering though, to anyone who has moved from the city to the country,

what
were the biggest shocks/surprises you got?

I think city people have REAL problems with coping with snakes.

I had some people here just before Xmas and my daughter saw a Tiger Snake
heading across the lawn through one set of French Doors. She just yelled
out: "Hey Mum, there's a tiger snake out here!" and then proceeded to go out
and do whatever she was doing. (And she is not at all good with snakes!)

Guests rushed to look but woudn't go outside. Later in the day, one of the
guests wanted to see something in my veggie garden (around the corner and
about 50 ft from where the previous sighting was) and so we were proceeding
down a gravel pathway which runs beside a long bed under the sun room
windows - me in front, guest behind me. This bed just has a few shrubs in
it and is topped with tan bark and is pretty sparse and dead boring.

As I walked, I noted out of the corner of my eye that something was 'wrong'
with the bed so I actually turned to look and noticed a Tiger Snake moving
along under the windows, up against the concrete base. I just remarked that
there was a Tiger snake and my guest was back inside so fast that she nearly
knocked me flat on my face with the resulting tail wind.

We figure that we've had a tiger snake living somewhere aroudn the back door
for about 5 years now and a Brown snkae soemwhere near the front door for
about the same time. Either that or we keep seeing the same sized snakes
each year.

The other thing I think city people are shocked/surprised by is how smart
country people actually are. For some reason they think that people who
drive ropey old bangers, or talk with an appalling accent, or wear shocking
old clothes are thick/poor/or ill informed/ill educated.