Old 19-01-2005, 05:32 AM
A & L Lane

"arachne" wrote in message

"A & L Lane" wrote in message
if I remember correctly, Thiram is a funcicide to prevent root rot in
seedlings as they germinate. All commercial seed (that I'm aware of)
comes
with this as the company has no way of knowing if you are replanting

your
snipped...

I'm fairly relaxed about sprays (used correctly of course) but I'm
certainly
pleased to find a softer alternative - better for everyone.

DS has serious food allergies, so i try & make/get everything as close to
natural as possible so we don't find more allergies.

thanks for the comprehensive info! i'm definitely going to check out seed
savers.
--
elizabeth (in australia)
DS 20th August 2002

"In these matters the only certainty is that nothing is certain." --

Pliny
the Elder (23 AD - 79 AD)

I have read about your DS' allergies - must be very very difficult. If you
do grow your own veges (and using your own seed is a great way to go - seed
savers has heaps of old open-pollinated varieties that taste great) - think
seriously about using the Dipel against the caterpillars. A lot of the
time, these old varieties are better than the ones we have now - they just
dont transport and store so well which is not an issue if you are growing it
for yourself. There is nothing worse than finding grubs in your veges and
fruit (BTDT) and this stuff is completely natural - developed from a
bacteria found naturally in the soil anyway and it *only* works on
caterpillars. All the scientists have done is to isolate the bacteria and
powderise it so you can add it to water and spray it around - no tricky
genetic engineering. Very very safe and green.

Can you tell I hate caterpillars !!

cheers
Leah