Old 19-01-2005, 10:01 AM
Chookie

In article ,
"arachne" wrote:

if the thiram is on them when they are seeds, doesn't it get into the crop
you eat? i wonder if i could buy organic ones?
sounds like fun.

As Seanang said, it's a surface fungicide. I don't know that it would get
into the plant as it's only on the outside of the seed, which is not part of
the developing seedling. I mainly buy seeds from Diggers, who are pretty
eco-friendly, and they use Thiram.

Just looked up the Australian Materials Safety Data Sheets (www.msds.com.au),
and you can get skin sensitisation if you handle it a lot (however, I imagine
that like me, you would not allow your DS to handle any poison, on principle).
It's not particularly dangerous (though you shouldn't eat it), and has a field
half life of less than a day.

Dad always used to save his corn in a jar with a handful of lime, which keeps
it dry in storage and IIRC decreases the risk of "damping off" (the fungus
that kills young seedlings).

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"Life is like a cigarette -- smoke it to the butt." -- Harvie Krumpet