Old 19-01-2005, 08:26 AM
paghat

In article , "edja"
wrote:

Does anyone have any good experience with getting rid of moles? I have tried
a pesticide (mole tox) with little success. I have looked on the web and
seen several options: scissor traps, worm type bait and eliminating grubs.
Any suggestions would be helpful.
Ed

Check this out:
http://www.paghat.com/mole.html
The Victorian maxim that starts out the article, "The ground swells
greenest o'er the laboring moles," seems to have been forgotten by
envirophobic moderns, but it was once common gardener knowledge that moles
do not harm plants but do great good aerating soil & controlling
populations of grubs & beetle larvae that do harm plants.

If per chance you really do have the rare & unusual mole who is a serious
problem (& they have enough individuality that one out of every few
thousand may find some method of being an actual rather than assumed
nuisance), no solution other than scissor traps are likely to work in your
behalf, & even scissor traps won't work if you're not ultra-expert at
placing them.

Once you've made the awful decision not to tolerate such wildlife, your
life thereafter as a mighty slayer of moles will be perpetual frustration.
Even if you have an occasional "success" in killing a mole & can put your
foot on its scissored corpse & raise your fist to heaven singing a great
song of victory against God's worthless creation, another mole will move
into the vacated underground mole-runs the next day. You'll have to kill
them serially for the whole of your ambulatory life, then when you're
dead, a wee beady-eyed & pointy head will pop its head out of the sod over
your grave & blow raspberries at your tombstone.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"