Old 19-01-2005, 05:16 PM
Kay

In article , David W.E. Roberts
writes
Hi,

I was about to post a query about when to prune my roses - in tubs on the
patio - but Google told me March/April after the last frosts.

In much of the UK, those two conditions are mutually incompatible!

The reason I was looking was because I have noticed that the roses have
burst into life and are putting on loads of new growth, and I was wondering
if I had left it too late (as I usually do with my grape vines).

There are two theories:

1) Prune in November because otherwise the bush will be rocked by the
wind and will flatten out an impervious pan under the crown where water
will collect and rot the roots.

2) Prune in March else the rose will put out lots of new growth after
pruning which will all be killed by frosts/

I think most people go for the spring pruning.

Don't worry about the new growth - it's what roses are good at! Although
it can feel quite sad pruning below good healthy growths, the rose will
soon replace them.

Everything seems to be putting out new shoots at the moment and we are
barely into winter.

So far we seem to have missed most of the nasty cold wet and windy stuff in
coastal Sufolk so I starting to wonder if we are going to have a winter at
all!

We're only half way through January! - the worst is still to come.

Is it usual for roses to grow strongly at this time of year?
First season for these as I bought them last year.

I haven't looked at mine but it wouldn't surprise me in the least if
they were doing the same.
--
Kay