Old 19-01-2005, 09:26 PM
Ned Sawanca

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 14:12:23 +1100, Basil Chupin
wrote in aus.gardens:

Don't use railway sleepers - they will rot within a reasonable period
(like around 6 years). Use treated pine - sleepers or other sized
planks. Had mine in for some 15 years now without any signs of damage.
And use galvanised bolts/nails/coachscrews/whatever to hold them together.

Isn't there a danger of the arsenic and even more drastic chemicals
like benzine leeching into the soil. Isn't this a worry if you are
growing veggies?

I ask because I have been think ing of doing this myself but am
worried about the chemicals in the wood.

You are right about the length oif time the timber lasts I have some
supporting a bank that has been there over 20 years and is still
exhibits no rotting or any form of degredation.

Regards
Bruce