Old 14-01-2005, 06:10 AM
omi

"Stuntz" stuntz @excite.com wrote:
Just wandering what you all use to make the rows in your garden.

My garden beds are 4' X 8'. I use 8' long 1X2 furr strips (actually 3/4 X 1
1/2) with shallow saw cuts at 2" and 3" along the length to space seeds at
multiples of 2" or 3" depending on the plant or seed, then plant on both
sides for the furr strip to make a double row. . There are usually four
double rows spaced 1' apart. As an example, I can get 72 onions or garlic
bulbs spaced at 5" (by interpolating) in one 4X8 bed. After planting, I
replace the furr strip with an 8' long drip tape for each double row spaced
4' apart on a 1/2 inch drip tape header. The drip system is transportable
between all of the 4X8 beds. Most of the tapes have been in use for about 8
years - some have had to be replaced when damaged by tools. Olin