Old 20-01-2005, 06:48 AM
Fran

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
from "Fran" contains these words:

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message

Well, for 18 years we used to cut 20 tons of hardwood every year.

I read this last night but for some reason it wasn't till this morning

that
what you actually worte hit home.

What the hell were you doing with 20 tons of hardwood each year?

For nine months of the year, the wood stove would be running 24 hours a
day, and would be lit nearly every evening in the other 3.The first one
we had, also heated all our water and ran hot-water radiators in every
room.

Yes I figured you burned wood for 24 hours a day and for a long time but
then we also use that 4 tons for heating water, cookinand running radiators
and that is for the full 6 months and we also burn another fire for at least
2 months of the coldest part of the year.

We get 4
ton and that is for 6 months of fires?

Yes, but you live in a continental climate with different winter and
summer conditions from our maritime one. The house was in an exposed
spot in a cold, windy part of Scotland with only three frost-free
months. Winter lows were usually in the mid-teens (C), coldest we
experienced was -24C.
In midwinter at this latitude, it's dark 16 hours a day (reduced solar
gain), during day the sun is very low on the horizon, and high wind and
rain are an almost constant cooling factor.

Throughout summer, the evening temperature in Scotland after a cloudy
day, is often cool enough to need a fire or heating of some kind.

I know you live in a poopy climate but then this area has also been known to
get frosts in every month of the year (including snow on Xmas day would you
believe!) and it gets cold here too - nothing as low as
-24 but it still gets down to about -9 in the nearest city so that is prolly
about -14 here. However, even keeping my fires roaring and the thermostat
on the highest I'd be hard pressed to burn more than that 4 tons for the 6
months. I was just curious as to what would get through 20 tons /year when
I thought we both had a similar domestic heating/cooking/water set up.