Old 19-01-2005, 11:24 AM
Pat Kiewicz

Al Dykes said:

I make a fair quantity of coffe grounds as a proportion of my kitchen
compost collection. Is it worth while to put them in a seperate
bucket and keep them for the tomato plants ? They will, of cource,
not be composted, just old coffee grounds.

For the number of tomato plants I put in, 12 - 18, I will have a pile
of grounds for each plant by June.

I sometimes use uncomposted coffeegrounds as one ingredient in a mulch.
It is always mixed with shredded autumn leaves, and sometimes with leaves
and cocoa shells. Grounds by themselves tend to get dry and crusty on the
surface and very resistant to rewetting if you lay on more than a thin scatter.

As for mixing coffee grounds into the soil uncomposted, I've not done that.
I prefer to run them through the composting process first. Any uncomposted
material I do turn into the soil is done at least a couple of weeks before I
plant into it.

Should I mix grounds into the planting soil I use to start the seeds ?

I don't even mix compost into my seed-planting soil. And I wouldn't mix
uncomposted material into my transplant mix. I once bought a batch of
potting soil that had been made with what I suspect to have been
unfinished compost. It ended up going 'sour' and damaging my plants.
So my experience makes me leary of adding anything not thoroughly
composted and cured to anything I pot up.

(attributed to Don Marti)