Old 19-01-2005, 05:16 PM
zxcvbob

Penelope Periwinkle wrote:

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 08:43:46 -0600, zxcvbob
wrote:

cut to the chase

If you can grow tomatoes, you should be able to grow just about any hot
pepper except maybe Rocoto. You just have to start the pepper seeds a
lot earlier than tomatoes.

Why Rocoto? Are they especially long season, or are they sensitive to
cool temps? They're _C.pubescens_, correct?

They probably like cool temps. The problem is the extremely long
season. (I've only tried them once and gave up. YMMV) Yes, they are
C. pubescens, and the plants are interesting.

The only _C chinense_ I have ever had problems with is Chocolate Long
Habeneros. It had just started to bloom heavily when we had an unusual
cool and rainy spell. It dropped the blossoms, and never produced
anymore. I have noticed that some varieties are more sensitive to cool
weather than others, but that's the only one I've ever grown that I
didn't get a single pepper off of. Most _C chinense_ are so productive
that one or two plants produce the greatest of plenty peppers!

Penelope