Old 20-01-2005, 09:52 AM
Gary

On 1/15/05 8:01 AM, in article ,
"gray" wrote:

I'm looking for advice on the best way to grow hazel nuts from seed.

Do I nick the side of the seed, or crack the shells, rub with
sandpaper, or leave as they are and wait for nature and the mice ???

To get a hazel nut to grow you must give them to the squirrels...they don't
have sand paper or any other tools that I am aware of. They take them and
with no prior training get them to grow in places that no one would want
one.
So plant them in the ground with some moisture and anywhere you don't want a
hazel nut tree. Like under trees and in shady areas...no sun.
Think like a squirrel...where would a squirrel hide a nut? The answer: Where
no one, especially the crows, will find it.
You will, of course, have to remember where you planted it...the squirrels
don't always and that is why they grow.
Keep it simple-just stick 'em in the ground in a shady spot...and then try
and remember where....! The ones you forget will remind you when they start
to grow.
Or...find someone who has a hazel nut tree...he/she will probably be willing
to give you some little trees already growing...planted by? The squirrels!
Gary