Old 20-01-2005, 05:12 AM
Basil Chupin

Ned Sawanca wrote:
On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 14:12:23 +1100, Basil Chupin
wrote in aus.gardens:

Don't use railway sleepers - they will rot within a reasonable period
(like around 6 years). Use treated pine - sleepers or other sized
planks. Had mine in for some 15 years now without any signs of damage.
And use galvanised bolts/nails/coachscrews/whatever to hold them together.

Isn't there a danger of the arsenic and even more drastic chemicals
like benzine leeching into the soil. Isn't this a worry if you are
growing veggies?

I ask because I have been think ing of doing this myself but am
worried about the chemicals in the wood.

You are right about the length oif time the timber lasts I have some
supporting a bank that has been there over 20 years and is still
exhibits no rotting or any form of degredation.

Regards
Bruce

The bit about the leeching of chemicals from the treated pine has been
done to death in this and other forums :-). As far as I am concerned the
amount of leeching would be so small that it wouldn't matter.

I suspect that you get more crap into you from the environment around
you - like being in your house where you are inhaling all sorts of
carcinogenic fumes, get contaminated by the teflon coated kitcheware and
the plastic cling wrap; and if you are a male (which you are) and you
are in the habit of wearing Japanese Riding Boots (thongs that is) then
you are absorbing estrogen from the rubber which rubbing between your
toes and will end up growing boobs.

Cheers.

--
Sound that shatters silence is called noise. Sound that enhances silence
is called music.