Old 20-01-2005, 03:06 PM
John

"Red" wrote in message
. com...
I think what you are face with is Smilax, it is a vine which will take
over if you let it. Grows from a rhizome, or root which grows a foot or so
under the ground and sends up the occasional plant which then grows up into
the tree or anything else that is available. While I am more inclined to
be organic, I have found that round-up at higher concentrations ( 4 ounces
of 41 percent per gallon) will after two or three applications control
this pest. I would cut the vines back and then wait for the new growth and
give them a shot of round up. If you are a dedicated organic, then get
some 20% vinegar and put 2 oz of orange oil and one tablespoon of
dishwashing liquid. Use this concoction when it really gets hot and it
will kill anything it touches in 30 minutes. Doesn't kill the roots but
really does a job on anything on top.

Good luck,

Cliff

Hi Cliff..
BINGO..I think you have it. I looked up the name, and found that it looks
just like what is shown here,
upper left pictu
http://www.swsbm.com/Images/New9-200...x_glauca-2.jpg

Also known as "catbriar" or "greenbriar" or "Sawbriar" and also " wild
sarsaparilla "

Here is more info on it:
http://www.cnr.vt.edu/dendro/dendrol...us/sglauca.htm

Looks like it thrives in the soil found out here in Bastrop(sandy well
drained soil over clay).
Katra also was correct in the type of root it has. Doing some web research
it's really an interesting plant and even has some medicinal properties. I
just don't want it climbing up my good trees so will work it out slowly.
Thanks to all helping me id this little bugger!!!!!
John