Old 20-01-2005, 03:03 PM
steve

Pete wrote:

I'd recommend doing what you already did for plant cleanup (a dip in
chlorine, H2O2 etc) to get them free and a head start, but I would

also do
a large water change with a massive gravel vacuum. When I pulled up

all my
plants for a cleaning I did the water change at the same time and

vacuumed
all the gravel hard and deep until it was clear. So no more crap

rotting
and that about fixed it in one shot... it's in my books now as a

bi-yearly
(?) thing as long as I keep my present fishload.

P.

BTW hope those spikes are trace only, no urea or such for an N

source.

Ya know, call me stupid, but I think you've hit the nail on the head.
After my first foray with these plant fert bombs, I had an immediate
explosion of green water. I won that battle. Now, shortly after
placing these bombs again, shazzam! algae infestation of epic
proportions. I did check the ingredients, and thought they were safe.
Mostly the trace elements, with very low nitrogen or phosphorous. I'll
look again and see if they actually identify urea or NO4. If I leave
them covered up and undisturbed I think (hope) the plants will eat
them.

I'm diligent with my gravel vacc'ing, but 34 fish, fed to nearly
popping, will produce a large amount of waste in between cleanings.
Now, I've put the two large angels and half (11) the tetras in another
tank so I think I can control the N better.
thanks for the advice,
steve