Old 20-01-2005, 04:54 PM
Kay

In article , Janet Baraclough
writes
The message
from rwakeford contains these words:

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 09:33:01 GMT, Gary wrote:

The top 1/4, which would be viewed from the top opening, had not
decomposed. From the top it would look as if nothing was happening
thus the
"It's not working" comment above. The bottom 3/4 was an amazing mix
of good
black soil.

That's very comforting news and I hope my compost turns out that way too
because the top of mine just looks plain boring! I hope it's seething
underneath too.

You can speed things up at this stage, by adding some red brandling
worms. Buy them from a fishing bait shop (they aren't the earth=worms
you dig from soil). They will multiply fast, and break down the compost
even more.

But shouldn't there already be some in there? (I missed the start of
this thread) They breed so fast that there's no point in buying.

In a compost heap, as opposed to a bin, the brandling worms will get in
and multiply, and if there aren't lots in there, then there's no point
in buying because it means the conditions aren't right.

(Although they are not the usual ones you find in soil, they are
abundant in the UK and will be found wherever the humus content is high)
--
Kay