Old 21-01-2005, 03:06 AM
Red

Reminds me of my misspent youth. When I was a sprout and associated with
older "sprouts" I was told that if you ate a leaf or two of Poison Ivy that
you would never be infected with any future encounter. I observed but did
not partake of the ritual. The friend who practiced this is still around
today to tell about it, some 60 years later, to my knowledge neither one of
us ever had a problem with poison ivy. We did experience some exciting
encounters with the establishment during those times but nothing like you
would read about in today's world.

"escape" wrote in message
On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 08:15:02 -0600, Rusty Mase opined:

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 13:32:54 GMT, escape
wrote:

I find the vinegar and orange oil only work in hot sun.

Salad dressing? The young, tender shoots of Smilax are very tasty to
nibble on but I never thought about using a salad dressing!

Rusty Mase

I remember one day up at the Natural Gardener, John came back to the
Labyrinth
with us and I asked him what purpose does that smilax have and he picked
it and
ate it! It is only annoying to me because of the thorns. Where I don't
have
cultivated beds, it grows as it wants.