Old 18-01-2005, 07:58 PM
Newbie Bill

"Richard Holub" wrote in message
How long does it take for ammonia to be broken down to nitrite/nitrate in
a new filter? I have had my new drip filter going for approximately 4
weeks and so far my tests only read ammonia. Isin't it about time that
the tests show some nitrite buil-up?

160 gal. rubber lined pond, 72 deg. F, four 8" koi...

Rich

At aquarium temps my rule of thumb has been a week to 10 days to bring bring
ammonia to 0 and nitrites growing. Double that time again to reduce
nitrites to 0. At cooler temps the nitrite reducing bacteria will probably
grow a little slower. Ammonia reducing bacteria shouldnt be impeded as
much, certainly not a month.

Sorry, but I don't have a solution. At a minimum you should be doing large
water changes to keep your ammonia down. However, while I don't know the
specifics, I have also heard of instances of certain new water conditioners
binding the ammonia to the point that it nitrite bacterial growth is very
slow. If this option is available I would see about transfering your pets
to another pond, possibly reintroducing 1 when the ammonia gets near 0. I
dont adhere as closely to 'the groups' 1000 +100 rule for koi, but I would
definitely agree that 4 8" koi is going to be way too much. My brother in
law had a similar situation and I didnt pond at the time. He complained
they kept jumping out. This was to escape the toxic waters. He still has
one solitary koi - but it is not very happy. I hate to be a nay sayer but a
few comets or shubunkin might be a better fit. If your pond is that warm in
the winter and doesnt get very hot in the summer even some fancy goldfish
might be nice.
Good Luck!
Bill