Old 21-01-2005, 12:48 PM
enigma

"starlord" wrote in
:

I see the high priced "Organic" goods in the viggie area of
the ONE local supermarket in the desert town I live in get
thrown out after it's 2nd day while the 'treated' goods
sell at good rates. To me that says a lot more. With the
cost of goods going up, people look for bargins, just as I
do, and when I look at a bag of normal oranges going for a
price I can afford, and the so called Organic ones are more
than 2 times the price and don't even 'look' as good, they
end up sitting there for a day or two and then get thrown
away. I've seen the organic goods go down in numbers too,
and it's funny when I see some of the OG'ic stuff in
plastic bags sitting right next to the same companies
normal goods and the price sticks out like a blazing sign.

really? i'm in the northeast & organic produce is not much
more expensive than regular produce. perhaps this is because
almost *all* produce is imported (the exception being lettuce,
which is easily greenhouse grown all winter) & therefore there
isn't extra shipping for 'organic'.
OTOH, if i *wanted* to pay obscene amounts for 'organic', i
could go to the health food store... they do hike the prices
horribly. i can't see how they stay in business with a
supermarket right next door that sells the exact same produce,
canned & prepared foods for half or less of the health stores
prices.
also, on the subject of greenhouse lettuces, since they are
grown indoors & usually hydroponically, it's just as easy to
grow under organic guidelines as not. shrug
personally, i grow most of my own produce & freeze it, so i
know what's in & on it. i do buy organic strawberries because
strawberries are sponges for chemical residues & sometimes i
want strawberries when i don't have any. i'll pay the extra
50-75 cents per quart for organic.
lee