Old 17-01-2005, 06:47 PM
Al

If you ever part with any of the Paphs that the judges did NOT write 'keep'
on, make sure you write on *those* tags; "not for sales to AOS judges" ;-)

"Rob Halgren" wrote in message
So, I got my first quality award in several years a few days ago. Phrag
(St. Ouen x schlimii) "Littlefrog Princess" HCC/AOS. Squeaked by. Cute
little thing, fuzzy, pink and quite round. As far as I know it hasn't
been registered yet.

The funny part is, I brought 5 plants. Four were Maudiae type paphs that
I thought were easily HCC quality or better. I would not have been
surprized to come home with one award out of the four, at least. I don't
bring many plants to judging, I'm more critical of my own plants than
anybody and I've been judging too long to be easily swayed. I haven't
brought a plant in a year, probably. The phrag was an afterthought, I
brought it mainly to show the group an example of some of the new phrag
hybrids. All four paphs went to one team, who evidently weren't as
impressed as I (although they did write 'keep' on one of the tags). The
phrag (which I thought was not awardable) went to a team that wanted to
give awards.

And the worst thing is, the plant I really wanted to take to judging I
left on the bench by mistake. One of the judges on the team that passed
on all the paphs shared a ride home with me, and when she saw the plant I
left at home she nearly swooned. Grrr....

Anyway, even orchid judges can't figure out the system some days. Have
fun!

Rob
2a) See rule 1
orchids, obtain more credit

LittlefrogFarm - Growing the plants Rob likes. )