Old 18-01-2005, 10:39 PM
Diana Kulaga

Are you out in the middle of the floor or against a wall? Are
you working from the floor up or from a table up?

Depends entirely on the show and its venue. And, 'pyramid' was probably the
wrong word to use, since we never strive for that much symmetry. It would be
boring, IMO. When we have a 10' x 10' square to work with (on the floor), we
build it with tables and whatever else to gain height and then work from
there down, always with color flow in mind. Sometimes we are in the middle
of the floor, sometimes against a wall, so we always bring palms or other
greens for background.

Table tops are generally 6' x 30", and in my opinion are tougher. We still
need to supply greenery for the backdrop, so space becomes limited, and
often you need to adhere to the show theme.

Those are society displays, cooperative efforts. At most shows here, there
are also 30" square table tops done by society members (the host society
does not install a large display). I generally do one for our show in March,
though I am wavering this year. My plants are somewhat recalcitrant after
our storms. No telling what will be in bloom.

What I was getting at was a new approach entirely, which is being tried in
other areas of FL with great success. If against a wall, what about a
"garden" effect? It wouldn't be on one level, natch, but would feature
undulating mounds and paths. Our judges have long held that all pots must be
covered with black cloth and then further covered with some kind of ground
cover such as live moss, all of which is starting to sound quite redundant
to me. At last year's Miami show, a grower did a 150 sf display using clay
pots and decorative containers. Not a lot of height and loads of props. And
won. I just think it's time to reach out a bit for a new look, as long as we
keep in mind the need to focus the viewer's eye by using proper color flow.

Then, there was a small display of white orchids, all white, on a black
background. Absolutely stunning and elegant.

Diana (who is so grateful to have some time to get back in the group!)

SuE